Saturday 9 May 2009

Fish Balls



I found these in the Kosher section of Sainsburys. They looked interesting and Dom brought them cos he said he'd had them before and they were nice.

They're made with minced white fish, potato, onions and matzo meal. It says on the packaging you can eat them hot or cold. I tried them cold and it it tasted weird. They are potatoey just like fish cakes are but they have a tangy sweetness to them. After 15 minutes in the oven they were far more edible but there still is something odd and cheap about them. The insides are a bit rigid and stodgy.

I much prefer your standard fish cake from a reputable fish and chip shop. Faulkners on Kingsland Road does the best I've ever had although I have never done any extensive research into high quality fish cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment