Monday 9 March 2009

Is there any food Dominc does not enjoy? #2 in an occasional series. The Century Egg.

I have been reading about this Chinese delicacy and am fairly confident that no matter how far my 'I'll eat anything' attitude stretches it will never stretch as far as this.

I will try most things once but even I draw the line at "a Chinese cuisine ingredient made by preserving duck, chicken or quail eggs in mixture of clay, ash, salt, lime, and rice straw for several weeks to several months [...] the yolk becomes a dark green, cream-like substance with a strong odor of sulphur and ammonia, while the white becomes a dark brown, transparent jelly with little flavour or taste."

Especially as the end product looks like this:



Read more, if you can stomach it, here

2 comments:

  1. Blimey. Yesterday I was trying to think if there was anything I wouldn't eat. I think you might have found the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to understand that what we think of these eggs is similar to what oriental people think of stilton.

    ReplyDelete